Parable: The Prodigal Son

This is one of my favorite parable, for I have been the prodigal son at times in my life. Like this son he had things going his way and he lost it all. Not only were he losing his possessions, but lost connection with God and his family.  Sometimes we have to hit rock bottom to realize how confuse and lost we really are. Even when we been dead to sin and repent our Heavenly Father accepts us back in his loving arms. He know that we were lost and know when we been found.

There was a  man had two sons. The younger of them said to his father, "Father, give me my share of the estate."  The Father then divided his property between his two sons. 


Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there wasted his portion with wild living. After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need.  So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs.  He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything. He know that we were lost and is found

When he came to his senses, he said, "How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death."  He set out and went back to his father. While he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. Father,  "I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants."

Never mind said his Father, instead the father said to his servants, "Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found."  And they began to celebrate.

When the older brother heard he became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, "See!  All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours who has wasted your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!" 

The father said to his older son, "you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.  But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." 

The Prodigal Son is very much alive today. There will always be a Prodigal Son until the end of time. Do you know one? 

Luke 15:11-32